Thursday 3 December 2009

A is for Alien

By the age of six I knew I was an alien. Not the peculiar breed that are an off green colour and have enlarged heads, stretched limbs and protruding eyes. Not the kind that you would see in E.T, Star Trek, or Doctor Who. I was more subtle than this. An alien in disguise. When I was born my mother neglected to inform me of this information, even despite the fact that being a different species is quite big news. She didn’t seem very alien-like herself though, and nor did dad, and I’m not even sure if they knew that I was one despite all the clues they had at their disposal. The humans at school all seemed to know though.
My throat was becoming sore and dry but tears persisted to race down my hot clammy face. It was my first day of junior school and I needed to stop crying now but my eyes had not yet been emptied of this salty liquid. The howling was still stinging my throat as my mother carried me across the playground towards Mrs Banks. Mrs Banks was a strange looking human because none of her features seemed to fit on her face. Her nose and chin were like plants that had been kept in the dark and were extending their stems to the only slither of light that was in sight. Her hair was scraped up into a pony tail with only one long wiry strand hanging down and tickling her nose. She grasped my hand and led me into the school building, along the corridor towards the classroom where the other young humans had already gathered. I remember feeling awkward and uneasy next to this stranger but she promised she wouldn’t leave me when we entered the classroom. Still walking along the hallway I remember seeing the door which had four glass panes in the top half so I could see an old hairy human talking to the class. We reached the door and the human plant released me from her tight grasp and left. She said she wouldn’t leave. Panic consumed my body as I saw the judging eyes that were looking up at me. The old hairy human was Mr Baker, my year three teacher. He asked me some polite questions but I seized up and didn’t know how to reply, as if I had forgotten how to speak. I remember feeling exposed, as if my disguise was fading, revealing my long green limbs and my inhuman shaped head. Without saying a word I slowly walked to the back of classroom in the hope that I would become invisible and fade into the surroundings like a piece of furniture. I was seated in an empty space next to Jimmy Cork. I nervously glanced at his face to size up what this particular specimen was like but there was no comfort to be found. He stuck his unnaturally long mobile tongue out of his mouth and forced his face to look like a screwed up ball of paper. To add to my shock, Jimmy Cork slyly leaned across and, using his fingers as pincers, sharply nipped the flesh of my upper arm.
I wanted to escape from this planet because I was different to these people.
I was an Alien.

No comments:

Post a Comment